Wednesday, June 23, 2021

My Google MyMaps Experience

 Hello Reader,

In today’s post I will be discussing my experience using Google MyMaps. I have never used this program (or any other mapping tools or softwares), but it seemed relatively straightforward. It was easy to search for the general locations of areas you might want to map, and then you can put pins on specific places or important features. It was then also easy to label these pins and add pictures straight from Google Images.

For my particular map, which I wanted to depict the Chattahoochee River (since it is my area of study this semester), it was a bit of a tedious process because the only way I could figure out how to highlight the river in its entirety was to use the line drawing tool and trace the river by hand. Because of this, it is not perfect and there is a lot of line segments since the river is obviously not just a straight line, but I think the map serves its purpose.

In addition to outlining the river, I put pins on many of the significant bodies of water it feeds into, because I will likely be researching these habitats as well. Since the river is pretty big, I will likely add other landmarks and features that impact it once I further my research and learn about there importance. I will probably also add more about the different bodies of water I have already pinned. As of now, I just have their names and a picture I pulled from Google.

To summarize, I think Google MyMaps is a useful tool, and I am glad to have been made aware of it. I would love to play around more with it in the future, as well as add more to my own map once I have more information.

Thanks!

Fran

Here is a link to my map as well as a screenshot: 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1tnEUwKUkqe94fSrekYaRp0iHd70828oS&usp=sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts (For Now)

 Hello Reader, For today’s post, as the semester is coming to a close, I will be reflecting on how my perspective of biodiversity has grow...