Thursday, July 1, 2021

Web Soil Survey Experience

 Hello Reader,

Today I will be discussing my experience as a new user of Web Soil Survey (WSS). It definitely seems like a useful tool for a variety of projects, and provides a wide array of information about numerous different aspects of a given area (big or small). Considering all its capabilities and features, WSS was a little complicated for me to get the hang of initially, but after playing around with it for a while and watching a tutorial, I was able to navigate relatively easily.

The Area of Interest (AOI) I focused on was near the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area. I chose this location because it allows me to focus on one section of the Chattahoochee River and the surrounding area. I think it would have been difficult using this tool to outline the entirety of the river, and even if I managed to do so using the drawing tool, the amount of information (considering the length of the river) might have been overwhelming since I have never used WSS before.

As I mentioned before, there are a lot of different things that can be looked at using WSS, and so your map can look different and have a different key based on what information you are trying to learn about your AOI. The image you see below shows my outlined AOI, the different soil types present (represented by the orange letters), as well flooding frequency. According to the map, flooding (at least in this particular area) of the Chattahoochee River never occurs in certain areas, and only occasionally does in others). I was surprised that there wasn’t any level of flooding in between occasional and none, and perhaps this is something I can further explore. I am also curious how the rest of the river compares in terms of flood frequency, so I’ll likely be using this tool again to get information on that.

Overall, I think WSS is an awesome tool that can be utilized for a variety of purposes. I found it a bit confusing at first, but the more I use it the more I’ll understand it, I’m sure.

 

Image: Flooding frequency map of a section of the Chattahoochee River and surrounding land area

Thanks for reading,

Fran

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts (For Now)

 Hello Reader, For today’s post, as the semester is coming to a close, I will be reflecting on how my perspective of biodiversity has grow...